It’s rare that I’m awake before sunrise and it’s not a period of time that I’m very familiar with. I had my alarm set for 6am, but for some reason I woke up naturally at around 4:30am. I tried to go back to sleep to no avail, so at 5:30am I decided to get up. Two things:
- It’s freezing at this time in the morning
- I didn’t know what to do with myself
I did feel a little hungry so I made myself a green smoothie while listening to a meditation playlist on Spotify (how very Youtube-esque of me). Then I sat down at my laptop (which I’d purposefully left on the dining table the night before) to see if I could write something. I was too cold to write anything, so I took my laptop and now I’m back in bed writing this.
In my “Perfect Work Weekday” post I outlined my desired morning routine which involved stretching/yoga in the morning. Ideally I will progress to that, but right now I’m taking my wins where I can get them and for today simply being awake before the sun rises and eating something healthy in the morning is enough.
If nothing else, being able to get myself out of bed this early feels like an achievement and I think that in itself is worth getting up for.
Here is my green smoothie recipe:
- 4-5 chunks of frozen pineapple
- 4-5 chunks of frozen mango
- 1 medium banana
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1/5 of an avocado
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 green tea (cold or warm – warm if its cold weather to help balance out all the frozen fruit, otherwise the smoothie is too cold for the morning. Warm tea also makes the blending easier.)
- A tablespoon of chia seeds
- A drizzle of agave nectar
Sorry I don’t have a photo of my green smoothie in a mason jar like most hipsters – I’m too lazy and unorganised for that this early in the morning.